The Old Glory Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated a monument to the history of the Natchez Trace at Timberland Park recently.
The inscription on the monument commemorates the importance of the Trace for American Indians and the early settlers in Williamson County, as well as its use as a post road and military road.
The Crockett family is recognized for its contribution as gunsmiths during the early days of Tennessee and during the War of 1812. Susie Gentry, who was the founding Regent of the Old Glory Chapter in 1897, is recognized for her efforts in preserving the history of the Trace.
The monument was unveiled by members of the Matthew Fontaine Maury Society of the Children of the American Revolution and presented to Williamson County Parks and Recreation by Old Glory Natchez Trace Committee Chairman Lynn Garrett-Moss.
For more information about the Old Glory Chapter, visit www.tndar.org/~oldglory/.