SEARCH THE HERALD:

> sign up for Herald e-news

The Lotz House welcomes home sixth Matilda Lotz painting

The Historic Lotz House museum in Franklin Tenn. has been gifted another painting by the late artist, Matilda Lotz, who grew up in the historic home. After being open for only four years, this is the sixth painting acquired in the house collection.

According to Lotz House Executive Director J.T. Thompson, the painting was a gift from an anonymous Lotz House Foundation member from the San Francisco area. Thompson said, “While the painting is spectacular, it’s the frame that makes this particular piece even more special. The frame was hand carved by Matilda’s father Johann Albert Lotz and features a ram’s head on either side of the top of the frame. To have another piece of woodwork back in the house in Franklin that Lotz built is remarkable.”

The painting, titled “Black Sheep,” was completed by Lotz at the age of 18 in 1876. The talented young artist painted a flock of sheep in green rolling hills with two very dominant black sheep. 

Thompson added, “We are very excited about the painting as it will be the most current of Matilda’s works in the Lotz House collection. This is historically important to us because we can see how her talent matures with her age.”

“Black Sheep” was unveiled at the Lotz House holiday open house where Robert Hicks was also named “Member of the Year” for his dedication to not only the Lotz House, but historic preservation in Franklin. Also unveiled at the event was a German family Bible on loan that was presented by Lotz House members Tommie Andrews and her nephew J.R. Andrews. The Bible was printed in the mid 1700s and has been passed down through the family from C.D. Hesselbein, a German immigrant who traveled to the US in 1861 and ended up fighting as a mercenary for the Southern Army through 1865.

The Andrews family has loaned the Bible to the Lotz House to share it as part of the story of German immigrant Johann Albert Lotz and his family.

The Lotz House is located at 1111 Columbia Ave. in Franklin. For information, call 615-790-7190 or visit www.lotzhouse.com

Matilda Lotz biography

Matilda Lotz was the daughter of German immigrant Johann Lotz who built the Lotz House in 1858. Since the Lotz House was wooden, Mr. Carter from across the street sent a message to Mr. Lotz and his family with an invitation to please make plans to come over to the Carter house in great haste for they were all going down into the basement of the Carter farmhouse to attempt to survive the bullets and cannons and fire of the enemy. 

This generous invitation was eagerly accepted with great gratitude. Matilda Lotz was a small girl who had turn 6 years old Nov. 29, 1864, the day before the Battle of Franklin. Since birth, she had scribbled line drawings in the dirt of household animals and on rare occasions when they were presented a scrap of paper, she would take a small bit of cooled coal from a fireplace, and draw childish figures.  

It is reported that only once did she attempt to express her artistic ability on a vacant wall, but the discipline that followed was a life learned lesson. Today, an individual can only imagine the dire affect on such a young and sheltered life, upon awakening on Dec. 1, 1864 with great and blessed joy of being alive and then coming up and out of the Carter basement into the overwhelming hurt and horror of hundreds of dead bodies of soldiers lying one on top of another.

The Lotz family was never able to recover their struggling life in Franklin, Tenn. following the War of the Northern Aggression.  Attempts were made, but because of poverty, the family was forced to leave the home in which Mr. Lotz took such pride as he had built the structure himself. 

They migrated west first to Memphis, Tennessee for a brief time and then via covered wagon all the way to California.  It was in the autumn of 1870 that the Lotz family arrived in San Jose, California where they settled.There Matilda received her first true art lessons from her older brother Paul and other artists employed locally by Wrights Photography Gallery. 

In 1874, she began a six-year course of study under Virgil Williams at the school of design in San Francisco. While attending that school she won several gold medals and graduated with highest honors. Matilda was also a pupil of William Keith and in the 1880s to further her art study in Paris, France under Felix Barrias and the famous animal painter Van Marcke. While in Paris she received an honorable mention for her work exhibited at the Paris Salon and was awarded two gold medals by the Paris Academy of Painting (the first woman ever to be honored by the Academy). 

She traveled extensively in Europe and Egypt, as a single un-chaperoned woman, something which for the times a woman simply did not do. Despite her work load, she was frequently commissioned to paint portraits of royal families throughout Europe. 

Matilda found time to return to visit her family in California. While at home she was commissioned to paint the portrait of George Hearst, father of William Randolph Hearst. Matilda’s painting of George Hearst hangs today in The Hearst Castle.  Matilda was also retained to paint the portrait of former California Governor Leland Stanford, the founder of Stanford University. That portrait remains on display at Stanford University.

After leading a unique and noteworthy artistic life, she died in Tata, Hungary on Feb. 21, 1923. On view at the Lotz House is an early California oil painting on board of a trio of sheep under a blue sky and enjoying green grass painted and signed by Matilda Lotz  in the late 1880s or early 1890s when she returned to California.

Today, Matilda Lotz is recognized as one of California’s premiere early female artists and her work is highly prized and sought after.

The Lotz House has six of Matilda’s original oil paintings on display including “Sheep at Rest,” “Donkey,” “Wolf,” “Harry Wilkes,” “The Herd” and “Black Sheep."

 

 

Posted on: 12/18/2012

 
 

WILLIAMSON HERALD :: 1117 Columbia Avenue :: P.O. Box 681359 :: Franklin, TN 37068
615.790.6465, phone :: 615.790.7551, fax ::
contact@WILLIAMSONHERALD.com

Copyright 2006, WILLIAMSONHERALD.com. All rights reserved. ::
Privacy Policy ::
Advertise ::
Feedback