Recent fires prompt reminders for residents to check home heating systems
As the temperatures dropped this week, the Brentwood Fire & Rescue Department responded to two heating related fires in 24 hours prompting the Department to remind residents of the importance of annual maintenance inspections on home heating systems.
At approximately 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday Oct. 21, crews responded to heavy smoke showing from a residence on Victoria Cove. Upon arrival, responding companies reported smoke showing from the attic area and discovered an electrical fire involving the furnace. The fire was quickly extinguished and damage was kept to a minimum. It would have been a much different story, however, had the occupant not been at home and alerted to the fire by smoke detectors.
The following morning at 6:22 a.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 23, alarms sounded at the Candlewood Suites at 5129 Virginia Way in Brentwood. Crews arrived on scene to find heavy smoke on the second floor with an evacuation in process. A fire in an in-room heating unit was located and quickly extinguished, but not before approximately 75 occupants were forced to remain outside for 20-30 minutes. No one was injured in this incident and quick action by both hotel staff and the Fire & Rescue Department ensured that the fire did not spread beyond the heating unit.
While these types of malfunctions are not 100% preventable, an annual maintenance program for your home or business heating and air conditioning system can help ensure that will be ready for service when called upon.
Posted on: 10/23/2013