> sign up for Herald e-news

Turnovers end Fairviews season with 35-20 loss at CPA

Fairview's Nic Harvey (23)  is brought down by the face mask by a CPA defender as  Logan Biggs (52) and Jacob Conrad (65) come to help. Harvey returned to the huddle despite being twisted to the ground by his neck.  No penalty was called on the play. Photo by Becky Williams

Early in the week, Fairview head coach Chris Hughes was worried not only about the size advantage of Christ Presbyterian Academy had over his Yellow Jackets, but also about winning the turnover battle in the TSSAA Class 3A state quarter-finals.
Two interceptions and two lost fumbles later, Hughes’ worst nightmare came true as CPA posted a 35-20 win, sending Fairview home in the quarter-finals for the third time in school history.
Fairview seniors Hudson Andrews (56), Hunter Shiver (44), Garrett Wall (22), Jeremy Hutcherson (55) and Logan Biggs (52) walk together to join their teammates and student body for the last time in singing the Fairview alma mater as Yellow Jacket players after last night's 35-20 loss at CPA. 
Senior Mike Jordan takes a moment alone following Fairview's loss to CPA last night.
“We knew we had to play flawless,” Hughes said after the game. “And we didn’t.
“I thought our boys fought all the way to the end.  We just didn’t make the plays and they did.”
Hunter Zimmerman threw for 198 yards and Nic Harvey caught 11 passes for 220 yards and a score.  Garrett Wall carried 11 times for 61 yards and Dreshad Moore added 27 tough yards.
“Garrett and Nic and Dreshad just sucked it up and my quarterback (Zimmerman) just played his guts out.  We’ve got some grit, we just didn’t have enough Johnnies and Joes.”
The first ten minutes was a defensive struggle before Jay Hockaday broke free for a 25-yard touchdown from his quarterback position, a spot he rotated all night with Zack Weatherly.
Fairview answered with an impressive 11-play drive that ate up almost eight minutes and covered 80-yards before Andrew Manuel stepped in front of a Hunter Zimmerman pass two-yards deep in the Lion end zone to turn back the threat.  
Four plays later Hockaday slipped over from the five on an 88-yard drive that was keyed by Weatherly hitting Thomas Richard for 39 yards and 45-yards.  After swapping punts, Weatherly found Joe Trice streaking down the left side line.  Trice broke three tackles on the way to an 87-yard touchdown to give CPA a 20-0 lead.
Backed up by a short punt, the Yellow Jackets found their backs against the wall as the Lions sat with a first and goal at the Fairview 4-yard line with a minute left in the half.  The Jackets held, going into the locker room down 20-0.
Dreshad Moore opened the second half by capping a 10-play drive with a 17-yard run to cut the score to 20-7.  But Hockaday again scored from the 20 and caught a pass for the 2-point conversion to make the score 28-7 half-way through the third.
CPA’s ensuing possession started a parade of flags that continued the end of the game.  Three flags in four plays left the Lions facing second and 51 from their own 48 when Fairview was tagged with a roughing the passer call.  It netted only 15-yards for the Lions, but resulted in an automatic first down, leading to Chance Meiers’ 5-yard run three plays later.
But the Jackets weren’t done.  Zimmerman hit Nic Harvey for 69-yards and a touchdown with time winding down.  Recovering the on-side kick with 6-minutes to play and trailing 35-14, their hopes we dashed by a lost fumble.  The next possession ended with an interception that was returned for a score but called back by three flags on the field.
Fairview got the last score of the game when Garrett Wall fired a half-back pass to Mike Jordan for 64-yards.  No extra point was attempted, ending the game with CPA up 35-20.
The parade of flags in the second half (CPA had 8, Fairview 4) was not lost on Hughes.
“I think we were playing hard enough to aggravate them and they’re not used to that.  It’s kind of like rubbing a bruise and we had some guys rubbing bruises every play and they didn’t like it.”
“I’m not disappointed in our effort, I’m disappointed in the results,” he said.  “We’ve beat a lot of people with 90-yard passes and tonight we got beat b 90-yard passes.  It’s humbling and now we know it feels.”
With the loss, the season ends for the Yellow Jackets and the high school careers of several seniors.  It’s a group that is every special to Hughes.
“These seniors won 40 games in four years at Fairview.  That’s 10 games a year for their freshman through senior years.  
“I owe these seniors a lot.”

Fairview's football team, student body, alumni and fans honor the school's tradition of gathering to sing their alma mater after every game no matter the result.  Fairview ended the season last night with a 35-20 loss at CPA. Photos by Becky Williams

Posted on: 11/22/2013


WILLIAMSON HERALD :: 1117 Columbia Avenue :: P.O. Box 681359 :: Franklin, TN 37068
615.790.6465, phone :: 615.790.7551, fax ::

Copyright 2006, All rights reserved. ::
Privacy Policy ::
Advertise ::