> sign up for Herald e-news

Independence survives late Summit surge

The Independence Eagles shot 10-14 from the free throw line in the final two minutes of the 57-51 game to avoid an upset from Summit.
The Eagles continued their 2014 hot streak winning six of the last seven games. But the cross-town rival Spartans wouldn’t go home without a fight. 
“They gave us a scare with the zone and slowed the tempo down a little bit and made us work for our shots,” Eagles coach Greg Glass said. “We adjusted at the half and came back were able to come away with a win tonight.”
The Spartans were down as many as 10 in the fourth quarter but stayed right in the game with feisty defense and a timely 3-pointer from John Carter and a layup by Grant Robinson that made it a 49-48 game. 
After four free throws Independence gained a 53-48 lead with under 10 seconds left. Out of timeouts, Summit’s Carter struck again by getting fouled on a 3-point attempt, by Patrick Murphy, and hit all three shots. 
“The last thing we said out of a timeout is it’s less than 10 seconds left if they shoot the three don’t foul, if they hit it don’t take the ball out because the clock still runs,” Glass said. “We make a bone head mistake and foul the 3-point shooter, which is a definite no-no.”
Murphy would redeem himself on the next possession. An intentional foul was called on the Spartans as they tried to stop the clock with less than five seconds left in the two point game. Murphy knocked down the two intentional foul free throws to make it 55-51.
“He knew he made a mistake,” Glass said. “But to his credit he came back and made two clutch free throws.”
Summit had a 26-25 lead at halftime but the show belonged to freshman Independence guard, Grayson Murphy. The younger Murphy had 20 points in the first half including three first quarter 3-pointers.
“He’s something else,” Glass said. “Sometimes I have to remind myself that he is a freshman. He really stepped up and played well for us tonight.”
Murphy finished with 27 points but missed part of the third quarter when he got hit in the mouth causing him to bleed. Senior Deion Simms took control scoring nine points in the third on his way to 17 for the game. 
“Deion played well during that stretch,” Glass said of the time without Murphy. “We got some positive minutes from Pierre Watkins and Patrick Murphy at the same time. It was a total team effort tonight. It took everybody to pull this win away.”
Carter, another freshman, led the way for the Spartans with 16 points while Demonte Williams scored nine.
Big fourth quarter pulls the Lady Eagles away from Summit
An 18-6 fourth quarter scoring margin gave the Independence girls a 59-46 win over Summit. 
Independence’s Katie Pierce scored a game high 25 points, 10 of which came in the last frame. Regan Croff scored 12 points in the third quarter for the Lady Eagles and finished with 16. 
Sydney Forrest scored 11 points for Summit along with nine each from Teondra Crawford and Zacharyia Esmon.

Posted on: 1/25/2014


WILLIAMSON HERALD :: 1117 Columbia Avenue :: P.O. Box 681359 :: Franklin, TN 37068
615.790.6465, phone :: 615.790.7551, fax ::

Copyright 2006, All rights reserved. ::
Privacy Policy ::
Advertise ::