SEARCH THE HERALD:

> sign up for Herald e-news

Animals unharmed in pet boarding facility fire

Two fires break out at Eddy Lane businesses in less than a week
 
Franklin, TN – About 20 pets staying at a pet boarding facility were unharmed following a minor fire contained to a piece of equipment that started at the Animal Health Center early last Thursday morning.
 
The fire was the first of two fires in less than a week that broke out at businesses on Eddy Lane.  On Sunday a tow motor inside the Williamson Farmers Co-op also caught fire. 
 
The Franklin Fire Department was alerted of both incidents by automatic fire alarm systems.  In both cases, the fires occurred after regular business hours, no people were on site, and both resulted in no building damage. 
 
“Both fire alarms activated properly, which enabled us to get to both scenes very early,” said Franklin Fire Lt. Matt Stout.  “This prevented loss of life to the pets involved, and minimized property damage and impact on the businesses.”
 
Firefighters were dispatched to the Animal Health Center, 400 Eddy Ln., a veterinary office and animal boarding facility, at 1:59 a.m. on January 28.  Upon investigation they discovered that an autoclave unit used to sterilize medical equipment had overheated and caught fire inside a surgery room.  The room was separate from where the animals were staying.  The scene was placed under control within five minutes of the fire department’s arrival.  Owner Dr. Benny Woody was also notified of the incident by his fire alarm monitoring company and arrived at the scene at the same time as the fire department.
 
Firefighters were dispatched to the Williamson Farmers Co-op, 200 Eddy Ln., at 8:41 a.m. on February 2, and arrived to find light smoke showing outside the building.  Franklin Fire Investigator Lt. Bill Almon said that a propane-fueled tow motor inside the warehouse ignited from what appeared to be an electrical issue.  When the fire department arrived the flames had spread to an adjacent tow motor and some bags of feed.  Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze and prevent it from extending to the building and other contents.
 
Stout said the incidents underscore the importance of properly maintaining and monitoring your commercial fire alarm systems, “Thanks to the alarm systems we were able to stop two fires that could have easily become much worse.” 
 

Posted on: 2/3/2014

 
 

WILLIAMSON HERALD :: 1117 Columbia Avenue :: P.O. Box 681359 :: Franklin, TN 37068
615.790.6465, phone :: 615.790.7551, fax ::
contact@WILLIAMSONHERALD.com

Copyright 2006, WILLIAMSONHERALD.com. All rights reserved. ::
Privacy Policy ::
Advertise ::
Feedback