Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.

Franklin firefighters rescue woman from condo fire

  • Updated
  • 0

Franklin firefighters rescued an 82-year-old woman from a condo fire in the Reid Hill Commons community Wednesday morning.  

According to a news release from the Franklin Fire Department, they were dispatched at 8:49 a.m. to the single-story, two-unit building on Morrissey Street. The woman, who was the only occupant in the home, called 911 from her portable house phone, reporting that her kitchen was on fire and that she had fallen and was unable to get out.

Firefighters arrived on the scene just a few minutes later. They conducted a rapid search of the smoke-filled home, finding the victim lying on the floor in the kitchen. They quickly removed her from the residence then extinguished the fire, containing it to the room of origin.  

According to Franklin Fire Marshal Andy King, the woman fortunately appeared to have sustained only minor injuries but was transported to the hospital by Williamson Health EMS for further evaluation.

King said the fire started on the stovetop and spread to the microwave and cabinets. 

He said it was fortunate the woman’s smoke alarms worked, and that she had a phone and emergency pendant available to her. He estimated damage at $10,000. 

To prevent a cooking fire, stay in the kitchen when you are frying, boiling, grilling or broiling food. Turn off the burner if you leave the kitchen for any reason.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.